Weight Reduction Diet
There are many weight reduction diets and other claimed methods of losing weight. Your best chance is to either see a qualified dietician or join a reputable weight control organisation. Your general medical practitioner should also be consulted.
There are many aspects to successful weight reduction, some of which are mentioned below:
- individual assessment of weight, including BMI and ideal body weight
- assessment of other risk factors (e.g. hyperlipidaemia, diabetes)
- a thorough dietary history
- assessment of energy requirements
- an understanding of why a person's weight has increased.
It would be naive to suggest that you could lose weight by reading a book or website, but it is wise to be informed.
Some useful links on weight reduction are listed below:
How to calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI)
Healthy Weight Network
An Australian commercial diet advice service
American Journal of Human Nutrition - subject index
Questions, with answers from a dietician
A commercial weight reduction program